Monday, July 18, 2011

helicopter parenting

What is helicopter parenting?   The term was originally coined by Foster W. Cline, M.D. and Jim Fay in their 1990 book Parenting with Love and Logic: Teaching Children Responsibility and basically means that helicopter parents "hover" over their children and are extremely (in all likelihood OVERLY) involved in every aspect of their children's lives.  


I'm not saying by ANY means that being involved in your child's life is a bad thing.  However I've been exposed to several parents I would ID as "helicopter parents" lately - and I have to be honest and say I don't think they're doing their children any favors.  


I would say I'm NOT a helicopter parent at all.  I allow Cassidy to get into situations where she might get hurt.  While I am going to avoid serious injury - I want her to take risks.  I remember reading somewhere (though I can't remember where anymore, but it was a research-based article) that children who take risks in play are better readers - because they learn not to be afraid of risks.  


An example of what I'm talking about - I let Cassidy climb up (and down) stairs.  I stay within arms reach because stairs are dangerous for a toddler, but I let her try them.  Today she surprised me by figuring out how to scooch down the stairs on her butt.  We were at a public place while she was doing that and I got several strange looks from other parents while she was experimenting.  You know the look I mean - that look that means "I can't believe she (me) is letting her (the baby) do that.  What kind of parent is she?!?!"


I have a friend who has a niece the same age as Cassidy and she describes her nieces parents as the helicopter type (though she's never used that term).  She has compared Cassidy and her niece "A" and has noticed that Cassidy did (almost) everything earlier than "A".  She crawled earlier, stood earlier, cruised earlier, walked earlier, talked earlier and continues to talk more.  Part of me is shallow and childish and wants to sing "Ha-ha - My babies smarter than your baby!"  But mostly I wonder if it comes down to the experiences that we let Cassidy have.


I am not a perfect parent - at all.  But I think that me being OK with my child getting hurt (within reason!) may be one of the best things I can do for her.  

No comments:

Post a Comment