Monday, July 25, 2011

Vacation Freak Out

I love to travel.  I love the going places and seeing new things and the freedom that magic word VACATION really means.  The problem is - I'm not very good at it!  I get nervous and jumpy and uncomfortable.  I'm always afraid I'm going to forget something, or overpack (that one's a given, I mean I AM a girl!).

Last year's vacation I was even more nervous than ever.  We were flying to Texas with a not-quite-three-month-old baby.  But we were spending the best part of a week at the beach and the rest of it just hanging at a hotel with some of our friends and Colin's family.  So planning was actually a breeze.  I had no worries about packing (other than the fact that I didn't fit into . . . oh . . . ANY of my summer clothes!)  Luckily enough once I experienced the ease of flying with itty-bitty-tiny Cassidy I was able to relax and really enjoyed my vacation.
(Cassidy on her first plane ride)

So, you'd think that this year would be just as simple.  After all we're flying to Texas again - this time to go camping and visit some of our friends in Austin.

Not the case.  I'm totally freaking out.

Part of it is that Cassidy is almost-sixteen-months old.  That is a lifetime of difference from three months.  Eating is different, sleeping is different, PLAYING is different!

EATING: At three months she nursed and that was it!  So for food - we were good!  I had to make sure I packed the pump and a bottle for back up, but that was easy.  Now we are feeding ourself (what a big girl!) but that means high chair and toddler plates, bowls, forks and spoons!  Oh yeah and sippy cups, not to mention we still have to take a bottle because we haven't quite gotten rid of the LAST one she has (right before bed every day).

SLEEPING: At three months sleep was - well there was a lot of it to begin with.  Plus she would sleep wherever and whenever.  At night she either slept with us, or on the floor on a little pallet that we made for her.   We didn't have to worry about her moving around or whatever.  Nurse, sleep, we were good!  Now is a whole other story.  First of all - it takes her about 20 minutes of wiggling, screaming, and/or talking to herself in her crib to GET to sleep.  Once asleep she wiggles and rolls and moves.  Sometimes she wakes up and has to talk/sing herself back to sleep.  None of these things work well with Mama and Daddy in the room.  Unfortunately we're CAMPING in a TRAILER.  Cassidy, Mama, and Daddy will be sharing a very small room - with bunk beds.  No room for a pack and play - and it could cost us as much as $70 to get it there and back anyway (could be free, but airlines are very unclear on what flies free and what you pay for!)  So - this could potentially be a problem.

PLAYING: At three months playing was pretty much tummy time and listening and looking.  We took a few toys, but nothing to speak of.  Now . . . well, entertainment is a must.  And I'm worried about taking the wrong toys - or not enough toys - or wasting space taking toys that end up not being used at all.

Yes I'm obsessing.

I'm also nervous about me.  Last year I definitely felt, well - fat.  But I was also realistic - I'd just had a baby and gone through a difficult pregnancy so - even though I wasn't happy (or comfortable) with the fat I kind of felt like it was part and parcel.  This year - despite the fact that I've lost 15 pounds (yay me!) I am still significantly overweight and really struggling with my self image.  I'm loathe to start packing.  I also worry that I'm going to fall off the Weight Watchers wagon while I'm away (try saying that five times fast!).    I really REALLY don't want that to happen.

Ugh.  I can't even look forward to my vacation because I'm stressing about it so much.  I'm going to shut up now because I'm starting to feel even more obsessive about it.  Grrgh!

No comments:

Post a Comment